Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Training starts NOW

It's not just the Alpine Challenge that I need to train for; I've got the Great North Walk 100 Mile race coming up next month. I feel grossly underprepared for this one and my first challenge is simply to sort out the logistics. Of course, I can keep sorting those out right up until race day. Training I need to get sorted soon! With that in mind, I'm going to head out to train a bit later this morning. (It's too cold now, and I need some heat training.)

2011 hasn't been my best year of running. I was fit and ready for the Alpine Challenge in March, but then I rolled my ankle heading down Duane Spur. I decided to pull out there, as I figured the Race Director wouldn't be pleased with a rescue off Mt Bogong; it was a good decision as I was later diagnosed with a second to third grade sprain.

In April I headed to Western Australia with Matt and we hiked the Cape to Cape Track, which was an awesome adventure. When I headed to the United States in May, I was very fit; running through Arches, Canyonlands and Grand Canyon National Parks made me even more fit. I was very pleased with my finish time for the Bishop High Sierra 100 km race.

After that I sort of headed downhill again. After many reconfigurations, our Oxfam Trailwalker team wasn't the best prepared, and we ended up withdrawing at 72 km. When I went to the Glasshouse 100 km last month, I was feeling fit despite my limited training, but I made a few stupid decisions and ended up a little on the hypothermic side, withdrawing at 67 km.

In between all of these I've done a few rogaines. They've been a lot of fun, but I haven't done any of them justice. I've also written the first draft of the first chapter of my novel, which I'm keeping to myself at this stage, as well as a few creative pieces and some researched articles, which you can read on my other blog.

So anyway, it's come to the time that I need to do some real training. Matt is off to Sydney next week for work and I will follow him. I might consider a day trip to cover parts of the Great North Walk trail (which could end up with me horribly lost in the wilderness somewhere… possibly still in the car).

If there are any runners out there who are free to guide me along a section of the trail, or if anyone can make suggestions on good training runs near the CBD, speak! Yes, please comment :)