Monday, 15 October 2012
Tam's T-bar Trail Bars
These are my T-bar Trail Bars because I made them using a Tupperware T-bar Set for a day on the T-bar (Toowoomba) trails with Tamsin and Ruth. They're easy, tasty and loaded with natural energy. And did I mention they're tasty?
1 cup quick oats
1 cup dry roasted nuts and seeds
1 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup golden syrup
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tbsp molasses
2-3 squares Nestlé Plaistowe dark chocolate
For the nuts, I use the Lucky Smart Snax nut mixes. I also like to use chopped dates, so it works out to about 1/2 cup dates, 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit, 1/2 cup berries from in with the nuts. These ingredients and the chocolate are usually available in the baking section of the supermarket. Try to get organic peanut butter with only one ingredient listed (100% peanuts).
1. Place oats, nuts, seeds and dried fruit in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a small saucepan, mix honey, golden syrup, peanut butter, molasses, butter and salt in a small on low heat and slowly bring to the boil.
3. Stir the liquid through the oat mix until it's all thoroughly coated and clumping together.
4. Scoop into T-bar mould and press down with the plunger. (If you don't have one of these, just squish it down into a pan or container that you don't mind scratching.)
5. Refrigerate until cool. Allow at least an hour for this step.
6. Use the back of a knife to separate the bars from edge of the mould, then turn the bars out onto the lid. (If using the tray, tip the bar out and cut, or do it in the reverse order.)
7. Melt chocolate until smooth and drizzle over the bars with a spatula. (2 squares will give a nice drizzle; 3 squares will give a thin coating.)
You can melt the chocolate in the microwave, covered on medium heat, 30 seconds at a time and stirring well in between. When it's close to melted, adjust in 10 second increments.